Monday, January 31, 2011

Cry Room Chronicles XXVIII

This Sunday morning we were running slow. The night before we came back from a day trip to Front Royal to celebrate my brothers birthday. Thus we wound up at the 9:30 Mass at St. Louis. We got there early enough to snag great seats by the choir and musicians. We didn't last too long but managed to stay till the gospel. Then we headed to the children's chapel.


Amazingly, only one mom feeding her baby was in the room. The lights were off and the TV was off too. She didn't know what to do, so we took care of things. Lucy decided she wanted everything off the shelves and was upset that we weren't bringing down all the missals and statues for her. This happened during the homily, where father talked about not having greed for things. This week's gospel is Matthew's account of the Eight Beatitudes--the blueprint for Christian living. Lucy was not getting the message. Jacob did his usual book reading and they both enjoyed putting money in the collection basket.

Later, we shook hands with each other only, since the mom and baby had gone back upstairs. Lucy had her usual enthusiasm; Jacob his usual disinterest. We went up for communion. Once we got up there, Jacob decided he wanted to go potty in the upstairs bathroom. I tried to hurry him as much as I could, so I wouldn't wind up like Angie two weeks ago. He dragged it out, but not long enough for me to miss communion. Angie and Lucy missed us, though. They were looking around the vestibule to see where we went.

The homily was pretty good. By today, it's mostly gone from my memory (time and a stomach bug have robbed me of it). Father did tell a good joke about the folly of being materialistic. A man who loved his possessions more than anything (and he had really nice things) was driving his BMW one day. He took a turn too fast and wound up in an accident. The car was wrecked but he was thrown clear. Well, all of him but his left arm! When the medics got there, they heard him wailing, "My BMW, my BMW, my poor BMW!" They told him, "Hey, you've got bigger concerns than that. Your left arm is gone." He looked down and wailed, "My Rolex, my Rolex!" Clearly his priorities were messed up. People are always more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment