Friday, January 15, 2010

Lucy at Storytime

The other day at the library's story time, we sang a song which involved hand motions. Since Jacob and Lucy were there, Jacob sat by himself while Lucy sat in my lap. She was facing forward, watching the librarian intently from under her little pink cap. The song (sung to the tune of "Are You Sleeping") went like this: Where is bear? Where is bear? Here I am. Here I am. How are you this morning? Very well I thank you. Go to sleep. Go to sleep. Hands start behind your back, with one coming out on the first "Here I am" and the other coming out on the second. You then bend your index finger to simulate the bears talking to each other. At the end the hands go to sleep behind your back. The song repeats with different animals.

Jacob pretty much ignored the hand motions though he did seem interested in the song. I was performing the hand motions for Lucy, who I assumed was having as great a time as I with the interactive song. The song went on and on, first the bear, then a squirrel, then a turtle, etc. etc. I saw a mom from across the way looking at us and laughing quietly. She mouthed, "Her eyes are covered." I looked around to discover that Lucy's hat had slouched forward over her eyes, She was missing everything! So I adjusted her hat in time for the last verse. The mom came up to me later and chatted about it.

So my recommendation at story time is to keep an eye on your child's headgear and any helpful parents in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment