Monday, August 16, 2010

How to Beat the System

With my sister Rosemary doing some daytime babysitting, I had the opportunity to get some errands outside the house done without the children. I decided to renew my license at the Motor Vehicle Administration for Maryland and get a hair cut at least. It made sense to go the MVA first to deal with the notorious long wait and see if I had enough time left for other errands.

Arriving at the MVA at 12:40 p.m., I got my ticket at the self-service kiosk and saw that my number was B135. The monitor on the wall listed the current B number as 104. The place was packed with people, some loitering in the vestibule and two even standing outside. I had a book with me, which is a good way to pass the time.

Guessing my wait would be at least an hour, I decided to get back in the car. My favorite barber is across town, about a 10-15 minute drive.  Having a book also seems to guarantee that I will not have to wait at the barber shop. The book worked its magic there and I immediately sat in a chair upon arrival at the barber's. The haircut was swift and efficient. As I paid, I discovered a "buy ten get one free" card from Rita's Ice Custard that had ten stamps on it. Rita's was in the same shopping center, so I enjoyed a chocolate custard and banana ice gelati for free. I even ate it on a bench out in front of the stores. Then I headed back across town.

I returned to the MVA at 1:35. I saw the number B129 on the screen. Sitting down to read, I had an eight minute wait before my number was called. I was done by 1:50 and able to get home in time to write this blog before the children even woke up! It's a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment